Search This Blog

Friday, July 27, 2012

Hummingbird Moth

Cellphone photo by B. A. Nilsson
SPOTTED THIS CRITTER at an outdoor garden center in Guilderland, NY, yesterday, and marvelled at its hummingbird-like appearance. "It's a hummingbird bee," someone there told me, which I later learned is a common colloquial moniker. There's actually a bee hummingbird, the tiniest species of that wee flyer, but it's based in Cuba. This guy is a moth.

It has a fascinating proboscis, which it curled and aimed and straightened as needed, and it visited flower after flower as I watched, letting me get much closer than any hummingbird ever allowed.

But it's still a quick little thing. With only a cellphone camera at hand, I did what I could, but, if you've never seen one of these, I think you'll be interested.




2 comments:

Unknown said...

Really lovely creature. Never knew they existed. I will be on the lookout for a hummingbirh moth in my backyard

Carol Cannon said...

Thank you, Byron,
Always on the look out for new wonders.
C