Sweet Snake-Oil Dept.: I found this pamphlet in my attic while re-wiring and insulating. It's undated, but there's a companion piece at the end from the NY Times from 1894, and as far as I can tell from the Times piece, it was passed off as a legit news story. (It was also referenced in the Charlotte Medical Journal from 1895.) Has dietary science really improved since then? I'm going to contemplate that over lunch. Note: It's lengthy, but they sure wrote convincing copy back in the day!
PALE, THIN PEOPLE
- Simply suffer from want of nourishment.
- If you are thin, it is because the food you eat does not digest properly.
- It is not healthy to be too thin. It is better to be hearty and fat.
- If your food doesn't digest properly, what can you do? You must change your diet.
- To get fat you must eat less fat and more starch, for fat and oils are indigestible.
- Starch is the only healthy fattening food
PASKOLA forms fat without giving your digestion any work. It is a delicious, healthy pure food.
It is a food that will make you bright and rosy and healthy and fat, without the use of drugs or medicines.
PLUMP PEOPLE AND THIN ONES
What Makes the Difference?